Lake Erie College to dedicate Athletic & Wellness Center in honor of Osborne family
The generosity of Jerome T. Osborne Sr. will not go unnoticed by Lake Erie College. In honor of his $1 million unrestricted gift in December, the College is renaming its current Athletic & Wellness Center after the Osborne family during a ceremony to be held April 24 at 3 p.m.
The Center, which is located on the corner of Gillett and W. Walnut Streets, will be renamed The Jerome T. Osborne Family Athletic and Wellness Center. Some members of the campus community have already dubbed the Center the “O.”
“We are fortunate to be the recipient of this outstanding gift. The Osborne family has been a critical part of our history over the years,” said President Michael T. Victor. “Having a prominent name such as Osborne on this important campus facility will give the building a new identity.”
Osborne, who received a Doctor of Humane Letters degree from the Lake Erie in May, has served the Lake County community for many years as a visionary leader, accomplished businessman and philanthropist. In 1947, Osborne founded the Osborne Coal and Feed Co., which supplied coal, aggregates and agricultural lime to residents and farmers in the Mentor area. Osborne, Inc. has since grown to multiple companies serving the residential, industrial and commercial needs of customers throughout northeast Ohio.
Chairman of the board of Lake National Bank and the Andrews Osborne Academy, he is also a former member of the board of directors at Lake Erie. Additionally, he has been involved with other organizations including the Boy Scouts, Scleroderma Foundation, Ohio Horseman’s Association and Breckenridge Village.