January 22, 2014
Equine Law Basics for Horsemen on Saturday, February 1
What every horse owner and professional needs to know!
Presented by Robert N. Farinacci, Esq., Attorney At Law.
9:00am-1:00pm, Saturday, February 1, 2014
Free and open to the public!
Lake Erie College George M. Humphrey Equestrian Center, 8031 Morley Road, Painesville, OH 44077
Questions may be referred to Dr. Pam Hess, firstname.lastname@example.org or 440-375-8005
8:30-9:00Free Registration and Sign-In
- When you need one and what they need to say
- Obligations and Exposure of the Buyer and of the Seller
- Obligations and Exposure of the performing Veterinarian
- Obligations and Exposure of the Trainer/Agent
Leasing Your Next Show Horse
- The Benefits and Risks of Leasing
- Balancing the Lease Agreement for Lessee and Lessor
- Breed Associations are taking aim at Leases.Don't become a target.
Understanding Ohio's Equine Activity Liability Law
- Know the exceptions. Easy ways to stay protected
The Importance of Liability Releases & Waivers
- Where to get them, What they should include and who should sign them
- Practical considerations for the Boarder/Student/Client
Short Break 10:30-10:45
When Should My Small Farm Become A Business?
- Pros & Cons of a D/B/A vs. Forming a legal entity
- Liability and Tax considerations
Ohio's Agister Lien Law
- How to enforce your statutory rights of lien
- Permitted expenses and charges
- What to do if you get a Notice of Lien
The "Law" of Reproduction
- You're not seeing double. Cloning is here.
- How Embryo Transfers are changing the Horse Industry
Keeping Your Local Club or Organization Out of Trouble
- Common mistakes of Non-Profits and Private Organizations that invite law suits
Careers in the Horse Industry
- Figuring out where you want to go and a few suggestions on how best to get there
Doping and Other Scary Violations
- Responding to your NGB when an infraction is alleged
- Initial inquiry vs. Formal Process
- Your Reputation / Your Livelihood
Famous People Entangled in Infamous Horse Cases
- Odd situations and monumental screw ups playing out in Courtrooms across America
12:30 - 1:00 Question and Answer session