November, 1856 Lake Erie College was founded.
Jun 11, 1857 A parade formed along Mentor Ave. for the dedication of College Hall.
Jul 4, 1859 Cornerstone for College Hall was laid by architect Charles Wallace Heard. Aaron Wilcox placed a Bible and other items in the cornerstone before it was sealed.
Sep 15, 1859 An advertisement in the "Telegraph" announced the opening of Lake Erie Female Seminary and outlined goals, requirements and programs for the institution.
Sep 18, 1859 The Lake Erie Female Seminary opened its doors and enrolled 137. women.
Oct 19, 1859 U.S. educator and advocate of education for women in Connecticut and the Midwest, Catharine Beecher, talked to students at Lake Erie.
Jul 19, 1860 The first class graduated from Lake Erie Female Seminary, consisting of two graduates.
Feb 16, 1861 Students went to the railroad station when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln
made a brief stop in Painesville for an address.
Jan 1877 The first floor south wing of College Hall was completed.
Nov 18, 1880 U.S. President-elect James Garfield and his family were invited to dine and be entertained by students.
Dec 10, 1883 The entire school mourned the passing of Judge Reuben Hitchcock.
Oct 1889 The handwritten "Seminary Recorder" was first published.
May 29, 1890 The cornerstone was laid for Memorial Hall.
Nov 19, 1893 U.S. President McKinley made his final visit to the College.
Nov 8, 1894 Founders' Day was first celebrated.
Sep 5, 1896 The cornerstone was laid for the science hall.
Jun 1897 Bentley Hall of Science was dedicated and it was named for Dean Bentley.
Mar 16, 1898 The country's leading organist, William C. Carl gave a recital in Memorial Hall.
Nov 20, 1898 A quartet from Mr. Booker T. Washington's Normal and Industrial Institute in Tuskegee, Ala. sang plantation melodies rarely heard in the northern states in Memorial Hall.
Jun 22, 1899 The first class of graduates received degrees instead of Seminary diplomas.