Earn a license in special education with our online courses!
Lake Erie College offers fully online post-baccalaureate courses that lead to a Mild-Moderate Intervention Specialist License. These courses are designed for already licensed teachers, or those eligible for licensure, who are seeking to add a second license to teach children in grades K-12 with mild-moderate disabilities and educational needs in a variety of inclusive settings.
• Coursework can be completed in three semesters over a one-year period. This includes two six-week courses in the summer, two seven-week courses in the fall and two seven-week courses in the spring.
• Convenience of 24/7 access to coursework anywhere there is Internet connectivity.
• Ability to maintain your current position and income while you earn an additional teaching license.
• Students can begin the program at any point in the academic year (summer, spring, or fall).
• 50 hours of fieldwork embedded in the course work that can be completed in your school, during subbing, or in a placement you arrange.
• A completed application
• An undergraduate degree in education from an accredited institution
• Official transcripts from all institutions attended
In addition to the online coursework provided by LEC, candidates seeking to add the Mild to Moderate Intervention Specialist License are to:
- Have completed, or be concurrently taking, 12 hours of reading as required by the State of Ohio including a course in phonics. (Please note, we do offer the reading courses online - contact Dr. Delavan email@example.com)
- Provide evidence of passing the following Ohio Assessment for Educators Exams:
- Special Education Content Assessment (Test #043)
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Multi-Age (PK–12) (Test #004) or provide evidence of having passed another OAE or Praxis II pedagogy assessment.
- Foundations of Reading (Test # 090)
* The reading courses and the OAE tests must be completed before LEC will sign off on this additional license after completing the coursework. For more information, contact Dr. Katie Krammer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuition is $600/semester hour *
*$600/SH rate applies to EDS 300 PB, EDS 303 PB, EDS 302 PB, EDS 330 PB, EDS 310 PB, EDS 320 PB only. Additional coursework is billed at the current published rates listed here.