Paola BasileProfessor of Italian and French
- Phone 440.375.7542
- Office LocationCollege Hall 205
- Office HoursM,W 1:00-2:30 p.m.., TR 12:15-1:45 p.m. OR BY APPOINTMENT
Paola Basile Professor of Italian and French
- Ph.D., Comparative Literature, Université de Montréal (Canada)
- M.A., French Studies, McGill University (Canada)
- "Laurea di dottore” with honors (Master’s degree), Modern Languages and Literature, University of Rome "La Sapienza" (Italy)
- Translator Diploma, Université de Grenoble (France)
- All level Italian Studies courses
- All level French Studies courses
- International Studies and Study Tour Abroad courses
- English Honors courses
- Studies in World Literature
My research is approached from an interdisciplinary and multicultural perspective, and my interests are as follows:
- Comparative Literature (Italian/French/English) as it relates to the journey, otherness, identity, transformation, and discovery.
- The intersection of Literature, Art, Culture, and Philosophy.
- Dante’s Divine Comedy.
- Film Studies.
- Foreign Language Pedagogy.
- French-Canadian Literature.
- Numerous Grants awarded by the IACF, the Italian American Culture Foundation (2006-present).
- Various "Faculty Awards" (Professional Development, 2005-present) to travel for conferences. Lake Erie College and the Doris Bray Endowed Faculty Enrichment Fund.
- Three grants awarded by "Il Cenacolo Italiano di Cleveland" (Fournier Fund) in 2017, 2018, and in 2019.
- Grant awarded in 2011 by the LEC Entrepreneurship Fund to invite on campus the international and well renowned artist Luca Buvoli.
- Grant awarded in 2010 by the Italian Consulate of Detroit and by the “Comitati degli Italiani all’estero” in support of Italian Culture activities at Lake Erie College.
- American Association for Italian Studies.
- Canadian Society for Italian Studies.
- Italian American Cultural Foundation; director of the annual IACF essay selection process.
- Northeast Modern Language Association.
- South Atlantic Modern Language Association.
- Books and Textbooks: “Learn Italian with Pirandello”, 2015; “Imparare l’Italiano recitando: La Locandiera. Una versione creativa”, 2013; “I folli voli di Ulisse”, 2006; “Battito d’ali”, 1995.
- Translated Books: Jimmy Cornell, “La passione per il mare”, from English to Italian, published in 2007. Bernard Moitessier, “Vela, mari lontani, isole e lagune”, from French to Italian, published in 1996.
- Over twenty Articles (in Italian, in English, and in French) on topics related to my research interests (see above).
- Numerous Translated Articles and Book Reviews.
- Co-organized Italian Studies academic conferences in the United States, in Canada, and in Italy.
- Over thirty scholarly presentations (in Italian, in English, and in French) at academic conferences in the United States, in Canada, and in Europe.
- Taught at Universities in Canada (Université de Montréal & Concordia University) and in Switzerland (Franklin University).
- Vice-President of the Canadian Society for Italian Studies (2008-11).
- Book Review Editor for "Quaderni d’Italianistica” (the official peer-reviewed journal of the Canadian Society for Italian Studies, 2011-15).
- Developed and led eleven successful study-tours abroad for LEC students
- Developed the Italian Studies major.
- Co-developed the French Studies major.
- Director of the annual IACF (Italian American Cultural Foundation) Literature Award process from 2006 to present.
- Italian (native), French (near-native), English (near-native), Spanish (fluent), Latin (basic), German (basic), Japanese (basic).