Paola BasileAssociate Professor of Italian and French
- Phone 440.375.7542
- Office LocationCollege Hall 205
- Office HoursM,T,W,R,F 11:40-12:50 or by appointment
Paola Basile Associate Professor of Italian and French
- Ph.D., Comparative Literature, Université de Montréal (Canada)
- M.A., French Studies, McGill University (Canada)
- "Laurea di dottore” with honors (Master’s degree), Modern Languages and Literature, University of Rome "La Sapienza" (Italy)
- Translator Diploma, Université de Grenoble (France)
- Italian and French Studies courses
- International Studies and Study Tour Abroad courses
- English Honors courses
- Culture Studies - Dante - Film Studies - Foreign Language Pedagogy - Travel Literature.
- American Association of Italian Studies.
- Canadian Society for Italian Studies.
- Italian American Cultural Foundation; director of the annual IACF essay selection process.
- Northeast Modern Language Association.
- South Atlantic Modern Language Association.
- Several Faculty Awards (Professional Development, 2005-present) to travel for conferences. Lake Erie College and the Doris Bray Endowed Faculty enrichment Fund.
- Grant awarded in 2010 by the Italian Consulate of Detroit and by the "Comitati degli Italiani all’estero” in support of local Italian Culture activities.
- Numerous Grants awarded. Italian American Culture Foundation Literature Award program (2006-present).
- Books and Textbooks: “Learn Italian with Pirandello”, 2015; “Imparare l’Italiano recitando: La Locandiera. Una versione creativa”, 2013; “I folli voli di Ulisse”, 2006; “Battito d’ali”, 1995.
- Translated Books: Jimmy Cornell, “La passione per il mare”, from English to Italian, published in 2007. Bernard Moitessier, “Vela, mari lontani, isole e lagune”, from French to Italian, published in 1996.
- Over twenty Articles (in Italian, in English and in French) in comparative literature, travel literature, Dante, Italian cinema, contemporary Italian literature & culture.
- Numerous Translated Articles and Book Reviews.
- Co-organized Italian Studies academic conferences in the United States, in Canada, and in Italy.
- Over thirty scholarly presentations (in Italian, in English, and in French) at academic conferences in the United States, in Canada, and in Europe.
- Taught at Universities in Canada (Université de Montréal & Concordia University) and in Switzerland (Franklin University).
- Vice-President of the Canadian Society for Italian Studies (2008-11).
- Book Review Editor for "Quaderni d’Italianistica” (the official peer-reviewed journal of the Canadian Society for Italian Studies, 2011-15).
- Can speak Italian, French, English, and Spanish; studied German and Latin.