1. The Office of Institutional Advancement
  2. Record-Breaking Participation in "Giving Day" Supports Lake Erie College

Record-Breaking Participation in "Giving Day" Supports Lake Erie College

More than 189 alumni, parents and friends of Lake Erie College rallied throughout the day on Friday, April 28, contributing more than $118,209.00 to support the College’s seventh annual Giving Day. This special day brings the LEC community together to generously support our students, while the results are invaluable in securing funding from many other sources.

“We are truly grateful for everyone who supported Giving Day. These gifts will have an immediate and profound impact on our students,” said Jen Schuller, Vice President of Advancement. “The success of Giving Day reinforces what we already know: we have an incredibly committed and supportive LEC community.”

Giving Day proceeds will be counted toward the $40 million fundraising goal for the College’s ambitious Now and Forever Campaign announced last fall. Campaign proceeds will fund strategic investment in individual student experiences, support student scholarships, faculty projects, campus life, capital improvements, and more. To date, the campaign has surpassed the halfway mark.

Kelsey Hukill, Executive Director of Alumni Relations & Advancement and coordinator of Giving Day remarked, "We are humbled by the donor turnout for our 7th annual Giving Day. Our community banded together and dug deep with their annual contributions to help us raise the most money we've ever raised during a one-day giving challenge. It is very clear to me how much our alumni and donors care about the College. We raised over $118, 209.00 from 189+ donors, which is unprecedented. Thank you to everyone who participated - you are truly doing so much for the future of Lake Erie College."

LEC Board member and Distinguished Alumna Sue Schoedinger Ellis ’59 pledged a $10,000 matching gift to this year’s Giving Day. Every dollar gifted up to the first $10,000 was matched, dollar-for-dollar, by Ellis – essentially doubling the donation the school received. This match was confirmed early Friday morning. Thank you, Sue!

Fun Facts:

  • Oldest participant – Class of 1953

  • Youngest participant – Class of 2021

  • Profile: Approximately 79% of donors were alumni; the remaining 21% were faculty, staff, trustees and members of the community

  • Cheers to the Class of 1968 – the highest number of participants!

  • 2 for 2 – The Classes of 1974 and 1971 tied for second place

  • Sliding into 3rd – Class of 1973 (This is their 50th Reunion Year)

Although Giving Day has passed, we welcome your participation. It will honor our vibrant past while ensuring the College’s future. Please visit lec.edu/giving-day to give what you can. You will be in good company!